Growing Your Lawn Care Business
Many of our customers ask us how we grew our commercial lawn care business to over $1M in annual sales. Here are a few tips that we can share with you:
- Focus on quality not price. I know...easy for me to say, but the truth is, a business built on being the lowest price is just a race to the bottom and eventually the end of your business. Instead, focus on quality service that costs a little more than the competition. Once people see the difference they will refer you and you're off to building a profitable business.
- Quality is as much about perception as doing a good job. The truth is, customers expect a good job, but you can create that perception of outstanding quality by having a website, clean trucks, uniformed employees and equipment that is kept up to date. Perception is reality and the reality is...you can't charge more if you have what looks like a second class operation.
- Give your customers a quality cut every time. You can assure a quality cut by replacing your commercial mower blades often and sharpening them frequently. Dull blades will tear the grass and leave a brown tint across the top of the lawn after a cut. Take the time to care for your equipment.
- Try to schedule your cuttings so that they fall on the same day each week. Your customer comes to expect you there on a certain day and you want to keep that schedule if at all possible. I know that the weather plays a big role here, but do your best and when you are behind schedule, why not have your office give the client a friendly call and update?
- Add services like sidewalk edging, bed care, etc. These all tie you tighter to a client when you are doing a great job for them. People are crazy busy today and many of your clients prefer a one stop shop for their landscape maintenance needs. Make it easy on them by doing more.
There are many ways to grow your commercial lawn maintenace business. These are just a few tips for you. How about you? Do you have any you might add to our list?